Friday, May 04, 2007

Babywearing!

Helen is very different from Irene in many ways. One is that she dislikes the stroller. Irene loved riding in her stroller, so this was new to me. How could I take walks if Helen cried in the stroller? Irene still rides in a stroller, so I couldn't carry Helen and push Irene at the same time. Or could I? Oh yes! I had bought a Baby Bjorn carrier at a resale shop and only used it with Irene when I vacuumed because she needed that security from the noisemaker. I tried it with Helen, but I didn't like how little support it gave her, and it didn't feel very secure on long walks. I checked out out some slings online, but they are soooo expensive. Pattern search time!

I found a free pattern for a mei tai, and it looked really easy to make for a beginning sewer like me. My mom has a sewing machine, so that wasn't an issue. A fabric store nearby sends out coupons for 40% off one item, so I was able to get the fabric 40% off. Thread is cheap, and some of the other supplies were on sale. My mom showed me how to cut it out with her cutting mat and rolling cutting blade. Helen ended up needing to eat before we were done, and my mom finished cutting it out while I was nursing. I did every bit of sewing, though. It's a bit big, and it should fit us for a while. I think I need to start rolling up the bottom to make it shorter because she's so little. I LOVE IT! It is easy to put on, and can be worn in so many different ways. So far, we've only really used it as a front carrier, but I expect that to change as she grows. Here's a picture from a wedding reception last weekend. The blue panel is interchangable. I can make as many different panels as I want and put in the one that matches my outfit or mood. (The lei is not part of the carrier; it was a Hawaiian themed reception.)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Mei Tais!! They are expensive (but worth it if you cannot sew). Yours looks great! Is it made so that you can wear it on the back too? You will find yourself with one happy, content baby!

5/07/2007 6:36 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Oh, yes! Being able to wear it on the back was one of the reasons I chose it. I'm hoping that it can also be worn on the side (as in hip), but I have no idea how it would be tied that way.

5/07/2007 10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel, I see you know about Gideon Soma! Aunt Dana is planning to call you to night. If Uncle Paul get your number for her. :)

5/21/2007 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home